Start-up pitch: Pitching for the GAIN Award 2018
September 8, 2018
5.45 pm – 6.45 pm
Salon F (conducted in English)
Present ideas. Discuss ideas. Award ideas. Scientific start-ups are the link between basic research and industry. German universities promote spin-offs in order to bring university research to the market. For junior researchers an exciting career path. The GAIN Award 2018 honors scientific entrepreneurship and brings outstanding start-up ideas to German universities! For the first time, start-up innovations will be awarded at GAIN18.
After a Call for Start-up Proposals six applications were selected. They are nominated for the 2018 GAIN Award. At GAIN18, the researchers have five minutes: their start-up idea must be convincingly presented, mission and business plan must be clearly explained to the public and jurors. The pitch jury has five minutes each to ask the presenters questions. The GAIN Award 2018 is an interactive and equal format. Meaning that also the three universities will be presenting themselves. Explaining in their pitch why their university is the best fit for hosting start-up initiatives. A jury will decide the winners. The jury spokeswoman will announce the winners on Sunday noon.
With the GAIN Award 2018, the top three winners will receive one-week of intensive start-up mentoring and coaching at one university or college in Germany. Travel costs, accommodation and meals are included for one person.
OBJECTIVE OF THE GAIN AWARD 2018: Mentoring and Coaching on a German Campus. The start-up idea will be further developed during your stay on campus. The universities will design an individualized one-week program. The University of Applied Sciences or the university leadership, academic colleagues, and entrepreneurs, start-up mentors, and companies in the region will intensively discuss the next steps with the award winners. Questioning and testing the business model. A campus mentor accompanies the scientist through the entire week and ensures that the results are secured. The start-up of the GAIN18 is turning into its realization phase.
MEMBERS OF THE PITCH JURY AT THE GAIN18
- Dr. Margret Wintermantel, President of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), Bonn, spokeswoman of the jury
- Dr. Hans-Jochen Schiewer, Rector of the Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg
- Dr. Andreas Zaby, President of the School of Business and Law Berlin
- Johanna Wolfson, PhD, Principal, Prime Impact Fund, Cambridge
- Dr. Duska Dragun, Director Biomedical Innovation Academy, Berlin Institute of Health
- Vanessa Vazquez, Program Director German Accelerator Life Sciences, Boston
- Moderation: Dr. med. Markus Lemmens, Director Liaison Office University Freiburg and Eucor – The European Campus, New York
PITCH OF THE HOST UNIVERSITIES
- Dr. Oliver Günther, President of the University of Potsdam
- Albrecht Ehlers, Chancellor of the Technical University of Dortmund
- Ronald Kriedel, Managing Director of the CET, Technical University of Dortmund
- Manfred Nettekoven, Chancellor of the RWTH Aachen